The NU Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Persian is the New Purugly

4 posters

Go down

Persian is the New Purugly Empty Persian is the New Purugly

Post by Sasami Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:32 pm

For those of you who haven't checked out the new tier list yet, it now includes Persian. It would seem that this addition has sealed Purugly's fate--Persian is the new Purugly.

Now the question is: Will we see Persian leads everywhere?

The original Purugly lead set was Fake Out/Taunt/Hypnosis/U-Turn with Return sometimes going over U-Turn.

Persian can run the same exact set but with even better stats. In fact, Persian is now the fastest Pokemon in our tier!

The other question is: Can Purugly do anything that Persian can't do? Or is it now completely and utterly out-classed?
Sasami
Sasami
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-02-27

https://nuforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Persian is the New Purugly Empty Re: Persian is the New Purugly

Post by Ninja Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:47 am

It seems bleak for our pudgy friend here (not that I sympathize with him even a bit), and unless there was some sort of different kind of Purugly than the lead-version (support, revenge killer, anything)–and I don't remember there ever being any (or many)–then I think Purugly will definitely have met its match here.

Of course, if Persian scores a high amount of usages over the next couple of months, then Purugly will be back in the running, assuming we find a counter for the new Mawile lead.

Sevimixer looks like a nice contender, thinking about it >>

Also, now that we have fighting types–and I'm sure more than one of them have Vacuum Wave–I think we might not have to worry /that/ much about Persian. Sure, it gets in a free Fake Out, but then Vacuum Wave will hit it where it hurts.
Ninja
Ninja

Male Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasami Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Ninja wrote:It seems bleak for our pudgy friend here (not that I sympathize with him even a bit), and unless there was some sort of different kind of Purugly than the lead-version (support, revenge killer, anything)–and I don't remember there ever being any (or many)–then I think Purugly will definitely have met its match here.

Of course, if Persian scores a high amount of usages over the next couple of months, then Purugly will be back in the running, assuming we find a counter for the new Mawile lead.

Sevimixer looks like a nice contender, thinking about it >>

Also, now that we have fighting types–and I'm sure more than one of them have Vacuum Wave–I think we might not have to worry /that/ much about Persian. Sure, it gets in a free Fake Out, but then Vacuum Wave will hit it where it hurts.

The only non-lead Purugly set I remember being run was the Choice Bander--which is something Persian can do better.

New Mawile is countered by any strong special attacking lead, honestly. It's just that everyone is still desperately hanging onto their set-up and/or status leads :p.

Plus, with the new fighting types, we have new contenders for scarf revenge killers. When Purugly was popular, the Pokemon that could OHKO it were mostly slower...even with a scarf.
Sasami
Sasami
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shine Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:40 pm

Purugly does have ONE advantage over Persian, which I abused heartily during my short experiments with it... Thick Fat. Purugly has an easier time switching into Ice Beams, Flamethrowers, and the likes. Besides that, Purugly's pretty much beat out.
Shine
Shine

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasami Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Shine wrote:Purugly does have ONE advantage over Persian, which I abused heartily during my short experiments with it... Thick Fat. Purugly has an easier time switching into Ice Beams, Flamethrowers, and the likes. Besides that, Purugly's pretty much beat out.

That's a good point. With the increase in ice moves that's bound to happen, that ability might have some merit.
Sasami
Sasami
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prostiboots Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:22 pm

Purugly has 12 more base attack points than Persian... it has that, considering the speed tier here are much lower, I'd use a Purugly banded before a Persian, considering Banded Persian only exists to use Switcheroo...
Prostiboots
Prostiboots
NU Committee Member
NU Committee Member

Male Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2009-03-05

http://www.bitchmakemeasandwich.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasami Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:30 pm

Prostiboots wrote:Purugly has 12 more base attack points than Persian... it has that, considering the speed tier here are much lower, I'd use a Purugly banded before a Persian, considering Banded Persian only exists to use Switcheroo...

Those 12 extra points don't matter quite as much when you consider that Persian has Technician, IMO. Although I suppose BandPurugly still has it's merits (as it'll be overall more powerful, just unable to utilize moves like Fake Out as well as Persian).

But in general, is there even a reason to band either of them when we have access to Pokemon like Zangoose and Lopunny? Only time will tell, I suppose, but it seems like neither of them should be used over some of the other Pokemon in the tier--except as a lead/support sort of Pokemon, which Persian does better.
Sasami
Sasami
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prostiboots Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:45 pm

Sasami wrote:Those 12 extra points don't matter quite as much when you consider that Persian has Technician, IMO. Although I suppose BandPurugly still has it's merits (as it'll be overall more powerful, just unable to utilize moves like Fake Out as well as Persian).

But in general, is there even a reason to band either of them when we have access to Pokemon like Zangoose and Lopunny? Only time will tell, I suppose, but it seems like neither of them should be used over some of the other Pokemon in the tier--except as a lead/support sort of Pokemon, which Persian does better.
OR Slaking... Munchlax (who'd do Thick Fat better, too)

Geeze... poor Purugly... wait, I hate Purugly. *doesn't care*

XD
Prostiboots
Prostiboots
NU Committee Member
NU Committee Member

Male Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2009-03-05

http://www.bitchmakemeasandwich.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content